Friday, June 3, 2016

Event 3

How Do You Shine?
June 1, 2016: Culture Club at Zimmer Children's Museum


On June 1, 2016, I was able to experience a trip to a museum I never imagined I would go to. I just learned that this museum existed a couple weeks ago, when my boss at work said she attended a gala there. She explained to me the exclusive feeling of the museum and how it was the most interactive museum she had ever been to. I thought this would be perfect for our class, where we have been exploring how technology and science relate to art. 
Green Screen Technology
This museum was nothing like I had ever seen before. It's secrecy within the Jewish Confederation building hides it within the Beverly Hills community. You have to go through security to get into the museum, and the only reason I was allowed to get into the museum without an appointment was because of my boss's connections to the museum. I was able to attend the Culture Club and receive a private, interactive touring experience where I was able to explore and observe all of the technology and art pieces. 

My favorite exhibit was the "How Do You Shine," which is a play on empowering children to show off their creativity. It features neon lights, and allows you to interact with the lights while they change colors. It's essentially like walking into a photo booth full of light. This explores the use of science, specifically electricity, to create neon art. 

Aviation
There was an exhibit that allows guests to experience green screen technology, an innovation that has changed the world, especially the entertainment industry in which I work in. This allows you to see yourself with any background of your choice, whether that be a forest, an ocean, a safari or space. This focuses on creativity; you get to use your imagination to create different art pieces or self portraits of yourself with different backgrounds each time. This use of technology is incredible in changing the legitimacy of images.


Ice Cream Shop
The museum features a small airplane, where children can sit inside and feel like they're flying. Aviation has forever changed transportation and has been one of the greatest inventions of all time. Aviation is popular in many museums, as I also saw it highlighted during my museum experience at the LA Natural History Museum. Aviation is an art form in itself because of the tedious work that goes into making aircrafts. Not only that, but the art of flying contains such grace. It fascinates me, and I loved seeing children getting into the airplane and feeling inspired.


Proof of Attendance
I would highly recommend this museum to anyone that is interested specifically with art, science and technology combined. Out of all of the museums I have attended for this class, I would say that this one was surprisingly the most fitting. It is inspiring, and I love how it gets children thinking about science and art together at such a young age. This reminds me of our first week of class where we learned about the tendency for people to choose between the two cultures. However, this museum explores both art and science, allowing children to see how magical innovations are when they combine the two cultures. 



No comments:

Post a Comment